Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Arrival to Peru: Biology in Peru group program

News from Lima from Emily:

We've landed in Lima and are camped out in the airport waiting to see if we will successfully make it on to our StarPeru flight. So far, everything is going really well. Customs and immigration were much easier this time than last time, despite the presence of medicos in masks checking for signs of swine flu. There were graduate students in line in front of us who had much more elaborate scientific equipment than we had (like a small refrigerator, I kid you not) and it was interesting watching them go through. I am very pleased that our students have been generally very up-beat, flexible, and open-minded.

Our favorite thing so far: our Delta flight had little interactive screens for each seat, so you got to watch whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted. Megan and I sat next to each other and had dual epiphanies about how, as pre-meds, we hadn't had time for television in years. So I got to indulge my very low passion for crime dramas, something that I would normally be much too serious and busy to do. In between shows I watched our progress on the real-time map: we flew over Cuba and over the Panama canal.

Okay, back to the very uncomfortable airport seats... Hopefully I can catch a few hours of sleep before it is time to navigate our domestic air carrier!!

No comments: